Training is scheduled at the AIT Indoor Arena to give our juvenile athletes the opportunity to gain experience on the track in sprints, middle distance and hurdles. It is the time to learn and practice starting blocks, relay teams and field events (high jump, long jump and shot putt) to prepare for upcoming competitions.
Juvenile athletes need be aware of the following Athletics Ireland rules:
- Age categories change every year on January 1st and are calculated on the age the athlete will be on the 31st December in the year of competition. No athlete may obtain a birthday in the year of competition and compete Under that age. Athletes are confined to their own age group only.
- A Club Singlet must be worn by every athlete in competition. The Longford AC singlet can be purchased at cost €25.
- Only 5mm spikes may be used on the track.
- When entering any field event athletes must be technically proficient and competent in that event in the interest of safety (ie: high jump).
- Relay Teams only: an athlete can move up one age group as long as at least 2 members of the competing relay team participating in the event on that day are the correct age. For U17, U18, U19 age groups all athletes on the team may move up one age group.
- IAAF False Start Rules apply. U16+ first false start leads to disqualification.
- U12, 13, 14, 15. One false start and all are on warning of next false start leading to disqualification
- Connacht Indoor Championship: U12-U19 age group. Each athlete may compete in maximum of 3 individual events plus a relay team.
- All athletes U14+ must use starting blocks.
- Connacht Outdoor Championship: starts at U9 age group. U9-11s compete with a partner as a pair and are only allowed to enter 2 events (with the same partner for both events or a different partner for each event) plus a relay team. U12-19 individuals may compete in maximum of 3 individual events plus a relay team.
- U12 must do a crouched start. Below U12 standing or crouch start is optional. All athletes U14+ must use starting blocks.