Useful info on this video for coaching the 4 x 200m.
Athletics Ireland Relay Document
Useful document with specific info for 4 x 100, 4 x 200, and 4 x 400.
Following is excerpt for 4 x 200.
- The 4 x 200 metre indoor relay challenges 4 athletes to run 800 metres as quickly as possible.
- Each team member runs 200 metres.
- The lead-off runner carries the baton in their right hand.
- The 2nd, 3rd and 4th leg runners receive the baton in their left hand.
- They then change the baton to their right hand before the first bend.
- All baton exchanges must take place within the 20 metre exchange zone.
- The outgoing runner shows a clear open hand for the incoming runner.
- The outgoing runner faces the infield.
- The 1st runner stays in their lane.
- The 2nd runner cuts in after the first bend.
- The lane order for the 3rd and 4th leg runners is determined by their team’s position at the 100 metre mark.
Download the full document below.Open Relay Document