The 2023 Co. Longford Primary Schools Cross Country Championships and Post-Primary races were held on Sunday at Moyne Community School on a sunny autumn day. Ground conditions underfoot were very soft in parts following the recent rain and this provided a true cross-country test with the large crowd present treated to plenty of exciting racing.
Of the Primary School events, brothers Andrew and John Fitzpatrick of Melview enjoyed success in their respective races whilst Newtownforbes’ Isabella McGrath and Jessica Neary took the honours in the girls’ events. The first twelve finishers in each race as well as the top three teams advance to the Connacht Primary Schools Cross Country Championships on Wednesday 11 October in Tuam.
Post-Primary races followed and provided the athletes with good experience ahead of upcoming club and school events.
Overall, a very successful and enjoyable programme of cross-country running with almost 30 schools represented. Well done to all that took part on what was for some their first experience of cross-country.
More photos and full results to follow.
3rd/4th Class Girls 800m (90 finishers):
1. Isabella McGrath, Newtownforbes; 2. Victoria Reilly, Ballinalee; 3. Emily Weafer, Drumlish.
3rd/4th Class Boys 800m (92 finishers):
1. Andrew Fitzpatrick, Melview; 2. Oran O’Neill, Ballinalee; 3. Aidan McDermott, Killeen.
5th/6th Class Girls 1000m (71 finishers):
1. Jessica Neary, Newtownforbes; 2. Georgia Brady, Newtownforbes; 3. Zoe Mulligan, Ballinalee.
5th/6th Class Boys 1000m (60 finishers):
1. John Fitzpatrick, Melview; 2. El’Nathan Okoh, Stonepark, 3. Donncha Farrell, Fermoyle.
Post-Primary Girls 2000m:
1. Sophia Carey, Moyne CS; 2. Emma Brennan, Moyne CS; 3. Darcey Brady, Meán Scoil Mhuire.
Post-Primary Boys 2000m:
1. Oisín Dillon, Lanesboro CC; 2. Timothy Sheridan, St. Mel’s; 3. Daniel Higgins, Ardscoil Phádraig.
Our thanks to Moyne CS for the use of their grounds. Many thanks also to all who assisted with the event at registration, parking, course set-up, marshals, serving of refreshments in the PE hall, Civil Defence and to the busy finish line team taking race numbers and managing the funnel!